• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Philanthropist Contributes to ARS Sponsor-A-Child Program

Wednesday, January 12, 2005
    http://jennykiljian.blogspot.com/2005/01/firs t-boston-byline.html

Young Philanthropist Contributes to ARS Sponsor-A-Child Program
    by Jenny Kiljian

WATERTOWN, Mass. - For sixteen-year-old Sarah Varadian, humanitarian work has
    become something of an extra-curricular activity. In her ongoing efforts to
    help children in developing countries, Varadian recently donated $300 to the
    Armenian Relief Society (ARS) Sponsor-A-Child Program. The money will be used
    to provide Christmas gifts and a party for the children living in the orphanage
    in Gyumri, Armenia.

Her commitment to service began when President Bush asked the children in the
    United States to help the children in Afghanistan by each contributing one
    dollar to the America's Fund for Afghan Children, supervised by the American
    Red Cross. Varadian, then 13, organized a children's fair in the front yard of
    her family's home in Norwood, Mass., and raised over $800 for the fund.

The experience fostered a continued interest in the Afghan children, especially
    the girls who, at that time, were not permitted to attend school. In her
    freshman year at the Ursuline Academy, a Catholic girls' school in Dedham,
    Mass., Varadian started an independent project called `Wee Care' Bears.

It was no easy task. She enlisted her mother in teaching her how to sew and
    gathered the necessary materials to make the tiny, bear-sized pleated skirts
    that mirror the school's uniform. The two dressed more than 100 stuffed bears
    and sold them for $10 each at the school's Mission Day Fair.

Varadian made her first contribution to CARE, an international organization that
    fights global poverty. She learned that one could help open a girl's school in
    Afghanistan for $450. Her efforts raised enough money to open not one, but two
    girls' schools in the war-torn country. Varadian was invited to meet CARE
    president Peter Bell and she personally presented him with one of her bears and
    a check for the schools' opening.

In 2004, sales from `Wee Care' Bears totaled more than $1000, which was divided
    among several organizations, including the ARS Sponsor-A-Child Program. `As I
    was helping the Afghan children, I realized the people of my own culture were
    suffering, too, and it brings me joy to know that I'm helping them,' said
    Varadian, now in her junior year at the Ursuline Academy. `This is the first
    time I've helped the Armenian Relief Society, and I'm definitely going to
    continue these efforts.'

The ARS was impressed and touched by Varadian's commitment to the community.
    `Beyond the monetary value of her donation, we appreciate Sarah's youthful
    exuberance in giving of her time to the needs of those who may be overcome by
    misfortune,' said ARS Central Executive Board Chairperson Maro Minassian. `With
    youngsters like this, the future of humanitarian endeavor is bright, indeed.'

Although CARE is no longer opening new schools in Afghanistan, Varadian donated
    $250 that will be used to support the schools she opened in 2003. She also gave
    $500 to Science With a Mission, Inc., a non-profit organization that gives
    developing countries the tools to properly diagnose diseases. Thousands of
    people die each year in these countries from treatable diseases such as malaria
    and typhus because doctors are unable to diagnose patients. The donation will
    enable an entire village to be screened and diagnosed, likely saving many
    lives.

Armenie Varadian credits her daughter's inspiration to the principles taught by
    her school, whose motto is `Serviam,' Latin for `I will serve.'

`They are encouraged to learn and to become all that God has created them to
    be,' says Armenie Varadian. `This moved her to more action.'

Thus far, the school has allowed Sarah Varadian to research and choose the
    causes for which she raises funds. Varadian intends to work on the project
    during her senior year. Her work has motivated many of her classmates, and she
    will be training younger students to continue `Wee Care' Bears even after she
    graduates.

For more information about `Wee Care' Bears, or to contribute to the project,
    contact Sarah Varadian at 781-762-0029.
Working...
X